Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: beer

Leeds Brewery

Midnight Bell

4.8% abv

*fssshhhp*

Very dark. Maybe darker than cola. Looks black in the glass. Very little head, and hardly a bubble in sight. Smells faintly like dark chocolate, a little like rye bread and faintly of fruit.

Tastes ... slightly like bonfire toffee for a moment then like dark chocolate with fruit in it. Slightly sour aftertaste, rather than the bitter aftertaste of chocolate.

It may be a bit too strongly flavoured. Other than that, it's really good. Sipping my way through it like it's whisky is going to make this 500ml last a long time, but they'll be tasty sips.
    When I was fifteen, my father thought I knew nothing. When I was twenty-five, I was amazed by how little he thought I'd learned in such a long time.

Sharp's

Seven Souls

5.4% abv

"A deep and rich beer with coffee and chocolate notes and a perfect bitter sweet balance."

*shhh*

It does smell kind of chocolatey. It's very dark brown. It looks quite a lot like Coke, but opaque. Head's half cleared while I was checking and typing that. Bubbling lightly.

I think by "coffee and chocolate" they mean "bitter," perhaps. It's got a "bitter herbs" kind of smell. Dark chocolate and, faintly, sun-dried tomatoes.

That's actually how it tastes, too, more sun-dried tomato and less chocolate than the smell. What a peculiar mixture. It's quite pleasant, but it's a peculiar mixture of flavours.

I think this is another one for the "interesting" list. It's better than "drinkable" but too damn weird for the "party beers" list.
    When I was fifteen, my father thought I knew nothing. When I was twenty-five, I was amazed by how little he thought I'd learned in such a long time.

Double Maxim

4.7% abv

Brown, just a hint of red when held in front of a light. Thick, smooth head that's persisting. Barely a bubble to be seen. Smells like a rough sort of ale. Tastes ... good. Only very slightly sweet, only very slightly bitter, nicely balanced, with a touch of dark chocolate and a touch of woodsmoke.

Yep. That one's going on the good list.