Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: beer

Leeds Brewery

Midnight Bell

4.8% abv

*fssshhhp*

Very dark. Maybe darker than cola. Looks black in the glass. Very little head, and hardly a bubble in sight. Smells faintly like dark chocolate, a little like rye bread and faintly of fruit.

Tastes ... slightly like bonfire toffee for a moment then like dark chocolate with fruit in it. Slightly sour aftertaste, rather than the bitter aftertaste of chocolate.

It may be a bit too strongly flavoured. Other than that, it's really good. Sipping my way through it like it's whisky is going to make this 500ml last a long time, but they'll be tasty sips.
    When I was fifteen, my father thought I knew nothing. When I was twenty-five, I was amazed by how little he thought I'd learned in such a long time.

Sharp's

Seven Souls

5.4% abv

"A deep and rich beer with coffee and chocolate notes and a perfect bitter sweet balance."

*shhh*

It does smell kind of chocolatey. It's very dark brown. It looks quite a lot like Coke, but opaque. Head's half cleared while I was checking and typing that. Bubbling lightly.

I think by "coffee and chocolate" they mean "bitter," perhaps. It's got a "bitter herbs" kind of smell. Dark chocolate and, faintly, sun-dried tomatoes.

That's actually how it tastes, too, more sun-dried tomato and less chocolate than the smell. What a peculiar mixture. It's quite pleasant, but it's a peculiar mixture of flavours.

I think this is another one for the "interesting" list. It's better than "drinkable" but too damn weird for the "party beers" list.
    When I was fifteen, my father thought I knew nothing. When I was twenty-five, I was amazed by how little he thought I'd learned in such a long time.

Double Maxim

4.7% abv

Brown, just a hint of red when held in front of a light. Thick, smooth head that's persisting. Barely a bubble to be seen. Smells like a rough sort of ale. Tastes ... good. Only very slightly sweet, only very slightly bitter, nicely balanced, with a touch of dark chocolate and a touch of woodsmoke.

Yep. That one's going on the good list.

Ossett Brewery

Yorkshire Blonde

4.5% abv

"This lager coloured ale is full-bodied, well-rounded and slightly sweet on the palate. A generous late addition of Mount Hood hops result in a delicate fruity hop aroma."

*shhhhf*

Wow. That's pale. Yellow side of amber. Fine head, faded away to a little patch and a line roud the edge. Bubbling moderately. Smells warm and sweet and fruity, like apple slices and brown sugar in a baking tray just starting to caramelise.

Does not taste like sugared apple slices. Very light flavour except for the slight bitterness. Faint bitter aftertaste. If anything else, very slightly sour.

Well, there's not much to this and what there is doesn't do anything for me, so not good at all, imo.

Camerons

Motörhead röadcrew

5.0% abv

"An American pale ale packed full of hoppy citrus and blackcurrant flavours delivering a crisp, refreshing, superior taste to celebrate the spirit of the song and those who inspired it."

*shp*

Pours pale, amber in the glass, almost no head, bubbling very lightly. Smells peachy!

Tastes kind of like nectarines but with bitterness underlying it. Not bad ...

The bitterness is putting me off a little. This one's going down as "drinkable."

Brew Dog

Dead Pony Club

3.8% abv

*psht*

Ginger hair coloured. Coarse head. Bubbling vigorously. Smells like grapefruit. Tastes like grapefruit.

Well, that was straightforward. Next!

Actually, drinkable. It's more a grapefruit juice drink with extra starch than straight grapefruit juice.

Wells

Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale

5.0% abv

"Basé sur la recette do la grande pudding Britannique," apparently.

*pfshp*

Well, that's quite dark. Light shows red through it. Fine head, not much of it, and not bubbling. Smells ... like hot, sweet pudding. Maybe hot chocolate fudge cake.

Actually manages to taste like that, too. If nothing else, congratulations to Wells on making a beer that tastes like a rich toffee sponge pudding. Nailed it!

There's a very faint hint of bitterness to it, but less than you get in dark chocolate, and a bit of a tangy aftertaste.

Not quite making it onto the good list, for me. It's a bit too much. It needs sips of café latte between sips of the beer. I'll add it to the "quite good and very different" list.